Background

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Liebster Award Part II



For the second part of the Liebster Award nomination, you have to answer 11 questions created by the nominator.  In my case, this was my friend Brooklyn at Hoot Knows.

1.  What is your favorite Bible verse?
--I have so many verses that speak to my heart and offer encouragement and guidance.  The ones that have been on my heart a lot lately and come to mind first are Jeremiah 29:11 ("'for I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord.  'Plans to prosper you and not harm you, to give you hope and a future.'") and Zephaniah 3:17 ("The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing.").

2.  How did you meet your spouse?
--We attended congregations in neighboring towns who often held and attended area wide events together.  Somehow, we always managed to sit together at dinner or devo...  (he claims to have never noticed me at those...whatever.  I had my eye on him for a couple of months).  Anywho, his name came up in my Math class--Defe, our teacher taught at both my high school and his at the time--and my friends looked at me and started giggling.  This led us to explain to my teacher that I not only knew him, but also might have a small crush on him.  As luck (or the Lord) would have it, Hunter--who no longer even had Defe as a teacher--called her that night for help with his Calculus homework.  Being the dear that she is, she told him the story of what happened in class that day.  The next night (Wednesday), my sister's boyfriend/now husband called to make sure Hunter would be at church because I was going to their congregation with them.  I was mortified and terrified that all of these people were seeking him out on my behalf (but now that I know him, he requires obvious and blunt to get the idea).  We all went to services together and went to Wendy's after.  There he asked me to his Senior prom (which was in 10 days...).  The Sunday after that, we became "official" and have been together ever since...May will be 10 years.

3.  What is something cool about your job?
--Well since my full time job now entails taking care of the coolest one year old there is, my whole job is pretty cool :)  We have been blessed and fortunate enough for me to be able to resign from teaching (8th grade English) to stay at home and take care of our family and household.  It's exhausting, sometimes overwhelming, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

4.  What is your favorite dessert? Please share the recipe.
--Oh man, that is TOUGH!  I have a sweet tooth the size of Texas; dessert is my favorite course!  And I don't know the recipe for Blue Bell ice cream :P  Here's a family fave:

Strawberry Pretzel Salad (if you call it a salad, you don't have to feel as guilty when you chow down!)
--6 oz. Strawberry Jello
--2 cups boiling water
--1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
--20 oz frozen strawberries (with sugar), thawed
--2 cups crushed pretzels
--1 1/2 sticks margarine, melted
--1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. sugar
--8 oz cream cheese, room temp
--8 oz Cool Whip

*Pour boiling water over Jello.  Stir to dissolve.  Add pineapple and strawberries.  Chill until mixture thickens.
*Combine pretzels, margarine, and 3 Tpsp of sugar.  Mix well and pat into bottom of 13x9 pan.  Bake 7-10 minutes at 400*.  Allow to cool.
*Cream together cream cheese, Cool Whip, and remaining cup of sugar.  Spread over pretzel layer. Pour jello mixture over cream cheese layer.
*Refrigerate 4-6 hours before serving.

5.  What is the best advice you would give to a couple just getting married?
--Never stop dating--keep things fun and interesting; surprise each other; dress nice for each other; giggle together; remind yourself and each other what you love about the other.
--Marriage takes three--your marriage will function best and most fully when you allow God's love to be the center of your love.
--Don't go to bed angry with each other.  You may be exhausted and you may stay up crying and fighting even though you don't want to--but you will sleep better and you will wake with more peace.  You aren't guaranteed any of your time together, so take advantage of every second you get.
--Never part ways (physically or verbally) without stating your love for each other.  It's something that can't be said or expressed enough.

6. Where is your favorite place to travel?
--Out of the places we've already been--Alaska.  Hands down, the most beautiful and intoxicating area we've visited.  However, both of us have dreams and plans of making it to Europe (specifically Italy and Greece) and Australia someday.

7.  What made you decide to live in your current city?
--Good ole ExxonMobil.  We chose our specific location because it got us out of town a bit and the houses were cheaper; but we're in Texas and this area because of my boy's job.

8.  Describe your personal style in one word.
--Comfortable.

9.  What is your favorite childhood memory?
--I have a ton of favorite memories that all get rolled up into one experience.  Every summer from the time I can remember until my oldest sister graduated high school, we loaded up and hit the road to Colorado.  We stayed up there in the same campground for six weeks, so basically the whole summer.  My grandparents went with us which gave us some incredible and irreplaceable time with them.  Those summers captivated my childhood, and I remember them often and fondly.

10.  What is a pastime that you love?
--Reading.  This is probably the pastime I enjoy the most and definitely the one I have enjoyed the longest--even before I started school, the library was my favorite place to be.  Nothing soothes me and passes my time more easily that cozying in with a good book.
--Another one that is a very close second is crafting; especially with my stamping girls.  Love.

11.  If you could meet one person, who would it be?
--This is a tough one.  I'm pretty fascinated by the heart and life of Mother Teresa.  I have a feeling an encounter with her (especially in her element) would be life changing.
--Fun ones--Shaine Claiborne, Francis Chan, Paula Deen, Drew Brees, Abraham Lincoln and George Washington, Norah Jones, Ty Pennington, Todd Beamer, just to name a few...  :)

Stick around for the third and final part of the Liebster award.  I'll get to introduce you to some pretty fantastic people and their blogs.  See you soon!

love, angie







No comments:

Post a Comment