Background

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Religion vs. Relationship

This country is one who preaches and claims to be a Christian nation.  But as an American people, what makes us so?  Just in my short life time, I have seen such a decline in the moral standings of the world.  A lot of the battle is religion vs. relationship.

I hate the question, what religion are you?  There are many different religions in this world, but this question is often used when referring to Christian denomination.  It irks my every nerve to know that people who claim to believe in and love the same Savior are divided so fiercely--and mostly over man-made legalities.  We have gotten in the way of the Gospel.  Our "religious" ways have gotten in the way of love.  Our judgmental glances and habits make us ignore those to whom Jesus would reach out first.  

We sit in our fancy buildings and go to our scheduled meetings--but what good is that if we are not in a relationship with Jesus, and also in a relationship with the people of this Earth that exhibits the love of Jesus?

Please watch this video.  Think about what he says.  Do you know and love Jesus or do you simply know and love religion?


Two incredible books that I read recently started the spark in my mind about this very topic.  I encourage each of you to read them.  Challenge what you've always thought.  Research, read, and love on your own.  I was raised in the church my entire life, and these two books completely rocked my way of thinking and my relationship with Jesus.  

Irresistible Revolution--Shane Claiborne



Crazy Love--Francis Chan


"People aren't confused by the Gospel; they're confused by us.  Jesus is the only way to God, but we are not the only way to Jesus.  This world doesn't need my tie, my hoodie, my denomination, or my translation of the Bible.  They just need Jesus.  We can be passionate about what we believe, but we can't strap ourselves to the Gospel, because we're slowing it down.  Jesus is going to save the world--but maybe, the best things we can do, is just get out of the way."
--Casting Crowns, "What This World Needs"

challenge yourself.

love, angie

No comments:

Post a Comment