Background

Friday, January 6, 2012

Bella's Songs

My daughter looooooves music.  I mean, really.  I'm not trying to exaggerate--just ask someone who's seen it in action.  Unless she's just starving, music will calm her almost instantly.  But just as in everything else, she's quite picky (she started "talking back" to Hunter this week when he messes with her and she doesn't like it--hilarious!).  She's not crazy about instrumental music; she doesn't like real upbeat songs; and she prefers women singing.  Selah and Kari Jobe are her favorite stations on Pandora--filling her with the love of Jesus early :)  Occasionally she'll go for a little Norah Jones, Josh Turner, and Wayne Toups, but only on special occasions.  The other day, I had it on Josh Turner radio and she was just a squawking.  I turned it to Selah and within 10 seconds she was sound asleep.  The girl knows what she wants and she lets you know it...  Oh Lordy, we're in for it!

But I want to share a few songs that have become special to me because of my baby.

"Rockin' Song"


Growing up in the Church of Christ (and having parents who are close friends with the Lancasters), we grew up listening to Acapella pretty much all the time.  They have a song, "Rockin' Song" that I loved when I was little.  I had completely forgotten about it until a dear family friend reminded me of it when Arabella was born.  After many sleepless nights and moments of exhausted frustration, this song helps me remember the true importance and sacredness of motherhood.  This song means so much to me now.

"I Saw God Today"


I really liked this song from the first time I heard it.  The only part that bothers me is that line, "I had to take a break, I'd been by her side for 18 hours straight..."  Pretty sure the mom would have loved to take a break too!  Ugh.  But, I digress.  To me, it just focuses on how much of a miracle becoming a parent is.  God is truly visible daily if you choose to look for him.  But how anyone can deny his presence in the creation of life is mind-boggling.  We did see God that day in the birth of our daughter, and through her we are able to continue to see him every day.

"American Girl"


This next one is so sweet to me because Hunter wanted a boy so badly.  After we had her, his mom said, "And to think you wanted a girl..." His reply, "I know, what was I thinking?"  It's been so sweet to watch him form that daddy/daughter relationship.  He even sent this song to me after we found out we were having a girl as a way to let me know he was excited.

"My Little Girl"



And finally, I have loved this song since the first time I heard it.  I know it was written for a movie about a girl and a horse, but the words are so sweet.  I have always been a daddy's girl, so it rings true for me on my own level.  But since we've had Bella, it rings on another as I watch her mold into her daddy's heart.  She will always be his little girl and that warms my heart to the core.

I adore my sweet baby


love, angie

1 comment: