Background

Thursday, February 16, 2012

a handy tip

A few years back, my mom shared a brilliant cooking tip with me.  It's one that I use ALL the time.  And it's all about ground meat.

It's so hard for me to keep fresh meat and actually use it all before it expires.  Plus if you only buy a pound at a time as you need it, you're spending quite a bit o' cash.

So the secret:  brown and season it (Tony's, garlic powder, and minced onions are my staples of choice), drain it, separate it into quart size freezer bags, and freeze.  Then when you're in need of a pound of ground meat, pull it out, pop it in a pan with a little bit of water to keep it from scorching, and heat it up enough to thaw it out.  Makes things so much easier when you're cooking.


So now after just a little bit of prep time, I have five pounds ready to go.  Bring on the casseroles, tacos, Hamburger Helper, and anything else I can think of!

I always have at least one bag in my freezer ready to go (this is ground beef, but I also usually have some ground turkey done as well).  It saves so much time and hassle when I'm ready to cook.  Hope it helps!

love, angie

No comments:

Post a Comment