Background

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Beloved

My heart is restless tonight, so I'm taking to my keyboard...

I mentioned a while back that we took some of our youth group kids to a camp at Lubbock Christian University at the beginning of the summer.  It was an incredible week that opened our eyes and hearts to so many elements of our relationship with each other and with our Savior.  Throughout the week, there are classes to attend (there are 20 or so offered, but you get to choose 15 to go to total).  These aren't normal "sit and listen to someone talk" kind of classes; they take on the name of the camp, "Encounter", in that they involve you in the message through role play and tangible example...you truly encounter the material they are each presenting.

One of those classes was the peak of the week for all 10 of us, hands down.  The class was titled "Beloved", and it changed my heart forever.


I can't express every detail of the class because it is something you would just have to experience to understand.  However, I can tell you that we spent 45 minutes in the presence of God and His Holy Spirit was very present in that room.  The teachers talked of how we are God's beloved, and all that He wants us to do is love and be loved.  It sounds like such a simple concept; but if you really think about it and try to comprehend it, it is amazing.

The God of the Universe...He loves me.  And there is nothing I can do to make Him love me more; and there is nothing I can do to make Him love me less.

They played the song "How He Loves" by the David Crowder Band and we lifted our hands and poured out our hearts to the God who loves us.  The teachers came around and laid hands in prayer upon each of us.  I get chills remembering the moments.


And now, this song has become one that stirs my heart to its core every time I hear it (as does it for the other 9 of our group who were there).  None of us hear it without letting the others know--it's message penetrated our hearts that deeply.

A couple of months ago, my dad developed a blood clot in his leg (a week after have rotator cuff repair surgery).  It was absolutely terrifying...  Hunter and I drove over late Saturday night because I just couldn't not go see my daddy.  We sat with my parents and my sister, holding hands and crying and praying, and I was overcome with fear.  I went to bed that night nauseous and with a migraine, with almost no peace in my mind or heart.

Sunday morning, as my sister and I drove back to the hospital, "How He Loves" came on the radio...and tears flowed down my cheeks.  My God was speaking to me and calming my heart.  I immediately felt a peace come over me; my body warmed up and stopped shaking, my world felt focused again.


So now as I sit awake, struggling with matters of my heart, I play this song and know that I am held and I am loved.  In spite of all of my shortcomings, my problems, and my struggles, I am my God's beloved and He simply needs me to let myself be loved.


because He loves you, because He loves you, because He loves you, because He loves you, because He loves you, because He loves you...

rest in Him, friends
love, angie

This song has always been one I liked because of the vivid imagery and detail in its lyrics.  But after that week at Encounter, it holds a tremendous depth and spirituality.  Take a few minutes and read the words; let them sink in to your soul; listen to the melody; and feel the embrace of God's love.

And He is jealous for me
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree, bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy
When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory
And I realize just how beautiful you are and how great your affections are for me.

And oh, how he loves us, oh
Oh, how he loves us, how he loves us all


And He is jealous for me
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree, bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy
When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory
And I realize just how beautiful you are and how great your affections are for me.

And oh, how he loves us, yeah, he loves us
Oh, how he loves us, oh, how he loves us
Oh, how he loves

And we are His portion and He is our prize
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes
If His grace is an ocean, we're all sinking...
And Heaven meets Earth like an unforseen kiss
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest
I don't have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way

Oh, how he loves, oh, how he loves us, oh
Oh, how he loves us, how he loves us all
How he loves
Yeah he loves us, oh, how he loves us
Oh, how he loves us, oh, how he loves
Oh, what love
Yeah, he loves us, yeah, he loves us
How he loves us, oh, how he loves us all 

No comments:

Post a Comment