Background

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Reads: Current, Soon, and Suggestions

I love words and therefore I love books.  The written word captivates me and does something to my mind, encompassing me in a whole other world.  And I just long for that sometimes.

Currently, I'm reading:

This book is the focus of our ladies class for church onWednesday nights.  We're enjoying it so far.
My sister-in-law sent me this book about being the wife your husband needs.  I'm all about any tool to strengthen my marriage.  I'm not very far into it yet, but am enjoying the thoughts it's provoked so far. 


I would like to read soon:

This is Sheila Walsh's newest book and after hearing her speak last weekend, it seems like one that will pierce deep into the wounds of your soul and help you find healing through God's grace.  Who doesn't need that?
I've wanted to read this for a while now, as I've had several friends sing its praise. 
Hearing him speak is one of the luxuries I've had in my life.  I'm anxious to read several of his books, but this one sticks out in my mind for some reason.
I have also had the privilege of hearing Dr. Henry Cloud speak--he's just incredible.  This book is one that I have heard innumerable praises for, and it teaches over a concept which I (and many, many other people) need to learn:  how to set and adhere to boundaries in life.


Books I've read and strongly encourage you to:

It was just great.  It's long, but the story captivates you.  It really puts the movie to shame.
Read whichever and all fit the seasons of your life.  These books will help you understand how others need to be loved, and also help you realize the ways in which you feel the most loved. 
A truly incredible story of a very young boy's visit to Heaven.  It's hard to believe until you read it for yourself!
This is the best literary tool for marriage counseling I have found yet.  I strongly encourage any and every one who is married, engaged, or planning to marry some day to read it.  Its pages hold wisdom.
Anything by Nicholas Sparks.  I am a helpless romantic at heart, and he never fails to trigger the water works.
I've blogged about this book before.  Francis Chan is magnificent with his words and challenges your ways of thinking in this book.
Just finished these lovely beauties--over the course of six days (with a Women of Faith conference thrown in there too!)...They were just fantastic!  A great mix of suspense, symbolism, and pure romance.
I loved Mary Higgins Clark's writing in 9th grade when we read Where Are the Children? in English.  And I haven't stopped loving her writing.  These books wrap me up in them and I just can't put them down until the mystery has been solved!
You wanna talk about making you think?  This book is the one to do it.   I was "born and bred" in the church and this book made me look back at all I had learned and the way I live and go, "huh?"  It's truly mind-blowing--in a great way.  If you struggle with your faith or understanding of the great commission; or better yet, if you are living and breathing and able to read...read this book.
This one is a true story of a rich white man and a homeless former slave who somehow through God's graces form an incredible relationship.  Warning:  you will need tissues.  But the story is very moving and heart warming.  Another book that allows you to witness God's glory and plans.
Wow.  I mean that's really all I can say about this book.  I actually need to read it again really soon.  It's another one to make you think.  But again, having been "born and bred" in the church, this book gave me a clearer understanding and picture of how the Trinity works together than anything else I'd ever encountered.  You have to approach it with an open mind, but if you do, God will use it to fill the openness.  
The ability to read awoke inside me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive. --Malcolm X
A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy.  --Edward P. Morgan
No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.  --Confucius

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. --Dr. Seuss

It is not enough to simply teach children to read; we have to give them something worth reading. Something that will stretch their imaginations--something that will help them make sense of their own lives and encourage them to reach out toward people whose lives are quite different from their own. --Katherine Patterson
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. --Mason Cooley
To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. --Somerset Maugham 


Hope you enjoy!  And if you're not a reader, become one :)

love, angie

No comments:

Post a Comment